Monday, October 14, 2013

Chapter 6

Chapter Six
"Aboslutly not!" Martha said to Richard with her arms folded tightly across her chest. Her face held the motherly anger that all children fear.

Behind her, Gabriel and Ezra played a game on the red billard table. Both exchaged glances of confusion and laughter.

Richard stood in front of his cousin with a sadden look. "Put ... Martha."

"The changes are happening too frequently, mainly when you are tired, overwhelmed and frightened. Tell me again where you are going?"

"A haunted house."

"Two emotions down and only the fear of tiring out to go." Martha said, tapping her left foot. "It is not going to happen."

Richard lowered his head and then looked to his cousin. "Bugsy has kept his promise so far and ... I don't think he can change on purpose."

Martha scoffed quickly. "Not now, but the stronger you get, the stronger he gets." She darted her eyes at her cousin. "What do you think will happen if someone threatens you there? Bugsy will leap out and kill someone!"

Gabriel sighed loudly. "Come on, give the kid a break. He has been trapped here for a month."

Martha rolled her eyes. "If you don't mind, Gabriel, I am having a conversation with my cousin." Her blue eyes rolled back to Richard. "I know you have feelings for this girl, but is it really worth it to change in front of her ... Possibly killing her?"

Ezra slammed her cue into a ball and stood up straight. "At least think about it Martha. The poor lad likes the girl."

Martha shook her head slowly.

Richard shrugged. "Alright, what if I talk her into seeing a movie or something?"

Martha scoffed. "And then turn in a theater? Understand me Richard, your teenager body is going through many changes, which bring on stress. Being around a girl is only going to strengthen those stresses and then the end result is Bugsy."

Richard gave a confused look to his cousin. "Are you saying that I can never see her again?"

"That makes me sound horrible, but yes that is what I am saying."

"Excuse me." Zachary said, walking into the room in his robe and holding a black folder. "I could not help but over hear that you are trying to stop a possible love interest for Richard, Martha."

Martha darted her angry eyes to Zachary. "I know you can hear a whisper in the furthest portion of the room, but that doesn't give you the right to spy, Zachary Taylor."

Zachary held up his hands and then removed his sunglasses. "Well, it is really hard to keep my attention on my work when a woman is yelling in the house." He glanced to the sadden Richard. "She reminds me of my mother."

Martha took the tips of her thumb and index finger on her right hand and squeezed the tear ducts of her eyes. "I know where this is going and I want to avoid it as much as possible." She sighed and removed her fingers. "You are going to make me the bad guy and suggest to let Richard go to the haunted house."

Zachary stared at Martha for only a slight second before turning to Richard with a stiff back. "Do you understand, and I mean fully understand, you will be faced with much more stress than usual? Do you, a man of his own right, feel that you can handle the terrors and frights of the haunted house with the knowledge that it is only for fun and that no one will harm you?"

Richard studied Zachary's face for a long moment and then turned to his cousin. "I do ... But ... Martha is right." He sighed and shoved his hands into his jean pockets. "There is too much danger going to that place." He lowered his head. "She understands much more about this whole Jekyll and Hyde thing than I do."

Zachary shifted over to Martha with a wink. "Then the problem is resovled. I believe Richard understands what he is capable of and he alone knows of his limits. If he doesn't feel that he can handle the spooks of the haunted house, then I suggest that he shouldn't go."

Martha stared at Zachary with shock. "But that still makes me into the bad guy."

Richard shook his head. "No it doesn't." He looked up to Martha with a smile. "You are just watching out for me and sometimes I misunderstand that. I ... Do agree with Zachary at times because I just want to be normal, even it means for a little while." He held his chest out with pride. "But I do understand what you are saying and I am making this decision for myself. I shouldn't go with Chloe tonight because I may not be able to handle the change."

Gabriel leaned on his pool cue. "How old are you son?"

"Seventeen." Richard answered, looking at the large man in confusion.

Gabriel laughed and glanced to Ezra on the other side of the table. "It took me twenty years to reach that sort of maturity."

Ezra grinned. "To reach? Dear, I think you are still trying to reach that maturity."

Martha stared at Richard for a moment, her eyes filled with remorse. "Do you think ... Do you think you can handle it without changing?" Martha asked in a hushed voice.

Richard shrugged. "I have to try, I mean, I can't hide from it all my life. Bugsy and I have to come to an understanding and so far, he understands. There are just some times were he gets out of control in order to protect us."

Martha nodded and looked at Zachary, who only smiled back at her. "If you think you can handle it ..." She returned her glare back to Richard and pointed a finger at his chest. "But if you feel any difference, you get out of there as soon as possible. Blame it on fear or some sort of sickness, I do not really care, but just get out of there before the change happens." She sighed. "I guess you can go if you feel that you can do it."

Richard's eyes lit up. "I'll think about it."

Zachary chuckled. "By the way you act, you have. I do not blame you, I would do anything for the affection of a young woman." He winked at Martha.

Martha scoffed at Zachary's wink and nodded to Richard. "And to make sure everything goes alright, I'll come along."

Zachary shook his head. "I do not think that is a good idea."

"If there is a change, I can bring Richard back with some Prantex." Martha said in a bold voice. "I will have to go because you won't allow the drug."

Zachary nodded. "And I do not think it is a good idea for you to go. Let's say there was a change and Bugsy starts running wild, he hates you Martha and ... I fear what he will do to you."

Martha smiled at Zachary with a sarcastic grin. "I thought that you were fond of the idea of Richard going out? I thought you believed he could handle the change? If he can, then I'll be alright." She smiled to Richard. "We know that only intense stress and fear will force a change, so as long as Richard is having fun, then he will be alright."

Richard glanced to Martha and then back to Zachary. "It will be alright ... I know it will."

Zachary nodded. "If you are sure, then I am confident."

Richard shrugged. "It is only one night that I will have to make up to Bugsy at some point and ... What could possibly go wrong?"

No comments:

Post a Comment